Let's brainstorm the New Spawn's theme!

Talk about anything related to the server.
CheeseDoctor
Minecraft IGN: CheeseDoctor

Re: Let's brainstorm the New Spawn's theme!

Postby CheeseDoctor » December 31st, 2016, 11:16 pm

I agree with Led's suggestion of a modern theme. Medieval seems to be the usual thing people in Minecraft build but I think modern can also look great and work with many different resource packs. Some people on the server already seem to have a grip on modern builds as well which I think is a bit different from Japanese or Roman styles.

On top of those points, modern builds can easily be made small or large and materials can vary widely. Here are some different pictures I've found looking through my screenshots:

ImageImageImageImage

For more inspiration, if the World of Keralis server is still up there are many, many modern builds there built by hundreds if not thousands of players. From there you can branch off and create your own designs!
MoMoe0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoMoe0 » January 1st, 2017, 1:42 am

Problems I see with the Modern style:

1. Interior Space.
Modern buildings are designed to have more space. What do we fill these buildings with?

2. Vertical Space & Feeling Cramped.
While creating huge buildings is mighty impressive, I think there is a problem with the sense of being cramped when you explore modern builds/cities in Minecraft. They are cool, but this would have to executed in a way where buildings weren't cramped together or that there were clear, intuitive pathways. We don't need a bunch of people saying, "How do I get out of spawn."

Problems I see with the Japanese style:

1. Difficulty.
Has anyone here built in this style? I feel like it would be super difficult to grasp the style since most of us aren't used to it.

Problems I see with the medieval style:

1. Generic
It's been done to death and it's pretty cliche.

Obviously all of these could be worked around, but these are just my thoughts on some of these styles.
Ben
Minecraft IGN: Benislav

Postby Ben » January 1st, 2017, 1:59 am

MoMoe0 wrote:Problems I see with the Modern style:

1. Interior Space.
Modern buildings are designed to have more space. What do we fill these buildings with?

2. Vertical Space & Feeling Cramped.
While creating huge buildings is mighty impressive, I think there is a problem with the sense of being cramped when you explore modern builds/cities in Minecraft. They are cool, but this would have to executed in a way where buildings weren't cramped together or that there were clear, intuitive pathways. We don't need a bunch of people saying, "How do I get out of spawn."

1.) Interior Space -- This is a worthy question, but I don't think empty floors is necessarily a bad thing, at least at first. It gives us opportunities to expand later on. If we decide we'd like something in the center of spawn a month or two after we start building, we'll be able to do it easier than if everything is built on a horizontal plane. Also, this multitude of small open spaces allows new players to make small early homes rather than committing to a build near spawn they may soon thereafter abandon. Essentially, I think we're looking at a worst-case scenario of wasted space where there previously wouldn't have been any space at all versus the alternative of wasted space that people would have to fight for.

2.) Vertical Space & Feeling Cramped -- I understand this point, but I'm not sure I actually see it as a problem. Most of the builds at the current spawn are fairly small as is, and I think small is kinda what we want out of spawn. People building big will clog up the area real quick, and with the map now being a couple months old, it may be better that resources are put into building tall than the alternative of the server's wealthiest maybe building palaces 20 blocks from the spawn point. The second point about intuitive pathways I don't really understand. I think modern cities are intrinsically more intuitively-constructed than more typical builds with medieval or other styles. That was one of my positive arguments originally is that it allows us to construct cohesive blocks. Also, if players can make it out of the jungle, I can't imagine a city would be too much pressure.

MoMoe0 wrote:Problems I see with the medieval style:

1. Generic
It's been done to death and it's pretty cliche.

Obviously all of these could be worked around, but these are just my thoughts on some of these styles.

I agree with this. I've got nothing against the medieval style, but everyone does the medieval style, and I don't necessarily think everyone's talented with it.

As far as a Japanese style goes, I'm sure it'd look really neat, and I'd like to see that, but unless a lot of people can reliably build in it, I think we risk spawn being abandoned early based on very few people being able to replicate the style.

I still think a Roman style could be really cool, as it's unconventional on Minecraft servers, but relatively easy to build and it lends itself well to the natural blocky structure of the game.

My b if I typed a lot. Open to more discussion, y'all!
AlphaShinx
Minecraft IGN: AlphaShinx

Postby AlphaShinx » January 1st, 2017, 5:19 am

I'm down for the "Modern City" Theme.
CheeseDoctor
Minecraft IGN: CheeseDoctor

Postby CheeseDoctor » January 1st, 2017, 8:41 am

I agree with the problems Mo found with both Japanese and Medieval themes, but I'm with Ben on the modern city problems. I don't think the problems thought of are bad at all and can certainly be avoided easily.

However, I also am not the biggest fan of the Roman theme, as I think it would also be difficult for players to build along with. The two screenshots posted are of a gate which we'd only need like one to a few of max, as well as a huge looking build that most people wouldn't have the time or dedication to finish. After looking up things like "Minecraft Rome" in Google, I found that unless it's a structure like a gate/ship/statue or gigantic building, there's not much to build. One of the things I like most about current spawn is that it looks lived-in, as people have created small bases and shops to start out. I think this would be much, much harder to accomplish with a Roman theme than a modern theme (in fact, some of the builds at spawn are modern already!).
I'm also worried that Roman builds may not look good without a resource pack, which is shown through the fact that nearly every good looking Rome-inspired build on Google has a resource pack. To be completely honest there's no way I'm playing on a server with a forced resource pack again either, that was the wooooooooorst.
MoMoe0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoMoe0 » January 1st, 2017, 9:48 am

Here are some more pictures of the Roman style that show smaller buildings:

I think the roman build could be a nice compromise between big modern structures and smaller medieval ones.
QueenOfSalt
Minecraft IGN: QueenOfSalt

Postby QueenOfSalt » January 1st, 2017, 2:00 pm

just throwing this one out here, one of the issues i see with modern building, especially if we're going to be making it all condensed-spacesaver mode, is that most cities are typically flat-grounded, aren't they? I don't live in a city but from what I've seen from shows etc etc etc is that they're more so flat. wouldn't that absolutely destroy the landscape of whatever we end up choosing for the new spawn location? & also like that would be a lot of digging to get the whole area flat for use like jfc

also: i still stand bhehind japanese theme, but the roman one looks nice w/ the added photo examples as well !
"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in a cup and cry until you can drink a nice, cold glass of your own lemony tears."

-QueenOfSalt
S0meRand0m
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft IGN: S0meRand0m

Postby S0meRand0m » January 1st, 2017, 5:15 pm

We sorta did medieval last map. I think Romand would be sick to try out.
Anything Is Possible With A Little Bit of Bullshit
2strong10
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2strong10 » January 2nd, 2017, 2:03 am

I've always though a Victorian age setting would be pretty neat.
"There used to be a fire somewhere, until I burned it down."
~2strong10
Ben
Minecraft IGN: Benislav

Postby Ben » January 2nd, 2017, 3:17 am

Super glad to see some discussion here, just thought I'd add something I've been thinking about. No matter which style you're into, try and make sure you've got your mind on practicality as well as aesthetics. We want to create a spawn that people can easily contribute to and have fun building. A style that is overly complex might not attract as many builders as one that is simpler or one that allows for more creativity. If we want to create a really cool spawn, we should look for a style and execution that invites contribution rather than one that only a few people will be able to add to.

Return to “Server Discussion”