Let's brainstorm the New Spawn's theme!

Talk about anything related to the server.
CheeseDoctor
Minecraft IGN: CheeseDoctor

Re: Let's brainstorm the New Spawn's theme!

Postby CheeseDoctor » January 2nd, 2017, 7:58 am

Thanks for the pictures of the smaller buildings Mo, but if I'm being honest, I don't think the small builds in the screenshots look very good at all and in the first/third screenshots I'm also concerned that the buildings are still too large for what some people would be willing to build at spawn. All three screenshots have texture packs as well, so I'm yet to be convinced that a Roman style could be pulled off and look good in default (and I personally think ignoring have a good-looking spawn for the players using default is a bad idea).

I prefer modern builds simply because they offer the most leeway room and space for choices. Modern builds can easily be small, huge, or anything in between. They can be incredibly simple (utilizing straight lines and square shapes) or very complex (curved lines and unique building materials meshed together), and they look great either way. On top of that, I've looked around the World of Keralis server with different resource packs on and I found that many, or most, of the builds look great no matter what pack you're running. I'm also worried people are far too concerned with the idea of modern builds being too close together, but that's not an issue. The modern style works close together and far apart, which actually sets it apart from other building styles. In fact, I think it's far more likely players will be likely to build at least a couple blocks away from each other than side by side, it's just the way most people build.

It may seem I'm completely against a Roman theme, but I really don't have a vendetta! The idea sounded great to me at first but upon further inspection I really don't think it's a good idea for the reasons listed above and in previous comments. Because I liked the idea at first without looking into it I'm concerned others may be doing the same now. A Roman city on the server may be cool for people who are confident they can build in that style, but for a spawn where many different types of Minecraft players will converge, I think modern is the best answer. My two cents :)
Caladin
Minecraft IGN: Caladin

Postby Caladin » January 3rd, 2017, 3:02 am

At the risk of sounding contrary, what about something totally different?

Rather than a surface spawn conforming to a certain pattern, have a nether spawn with nodes that lead to various 'cities', as well as individuals areas, allowing both for everything to be nominally 'near' and for people to build in whichever style they prefer should they wish to do so within the cities.
MoMoe0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoMoe0 » January 3rd, 2017, 5:04 am

Caladin wrote:At the risk of sounding contrary, what about something totally different?

Rather than a surface spawn conforming to a certain pattern, have a nether spawn with nodes that lead to various 'cities', as well as individuals areas, allowing both for everything to be nominally 'near' and for people to build in whichever style they prefer should they wish to do so within the cities.

This could of course be implemented even with a surface spawn.
Xisumo
Minecraft IGN: Xisumo

Postby Xisumo » January 3rd, 2017, 5:17 pm

If I had to choose from the three, I would pick Japanese/Asian because it's just the best style ever and there are lots of player heads that compliment that style of build. I've built plenty of pagodas and japanese huts so it's not that hard.

But if I could throw another option out there, I would suggest a Mediterranean Style Town. It hasn't been done to death, isn't hard, it's colorful and people can get creative with materials or just use the basics.

Something like that, only not as cramped and with defined roads/paths.
fang117abc
Minecraft IGN: fang117abc

Postby fang117abc » January 4th, 2017, 12:51 pm

i really quite like the idea of a Japanese style spawn, they look decent and are pretty quick to throw up being cheap and easy to do

Return to “Server Discussion”