Vote on New Spawn's theme!

Talk about anything related to the server.

Which theme do you think would be best?

Poll ended at January 6th, 2017, 2:21 am

Japanese
53%
Modern
29%
Roman
18%

Total votes: 17
MoMoe0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vote on New Spawn's theme!

Postby MoMoe0 » January 4th, 2017, 2:21 am

Hello and welcome to the vote for the New Spawn's theme!

The winner for the location was #2 located at: X=-3100 | Y=-600

The three most popular themes are displayed for you to choose. Please be sure to consider the features of the area, size of the area, and theme building difficulty when picking your favorite. Also consider the features that will be needed at spawn (e.g., nether portal, market, and so on). This vote will end in exactly 2 days, and you are allowed to change your vote before then if you wish.

We are always open to more discussion, so please reply below if you wish to contribute your thoughts.
QueenOfSalt
Minecraft IGN: QueenOfSalt

Re: Vote on New Spawn's theme!

Postby QueenOfSalt » January 4th, 2017, 2:31 am

Throwing my two cents in here again!

In my personal opinion, if we were to choose modern for a theme, we would be throwing the beauty of spawn out of the window. Modern type spawns do not really focus much on the enviroment and the beauty of it as much as packing in as much stuff as you can into one space. I feel like it would be a choice between modern and keeping the beauty of our choice in the spawn location.

I'm still rooting for the Japanese theme, even if I'm not the best builder. We can all become okay at things if we practice. I also feel as though the Japanese theme would be a much more open theme and it would embrace the enviroment around spawn. It would also be fitting for the location- Small, dark bridges between the rivers, waterside stores etc, and I think it would fit BEAUTIFULLY with the extreme hills! (The dark colored possibilities along with the rock look awesome in my mind!)
"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in a cup and cry until you can drink a nice, cold glass of your own lemony tears."

-QueenOfSalt
CheeseDoctor
Minecraft IGN: CheeseDoctor

Postby CheeseDoctor » January 4th, 2017, 3:10 am

Gotta be honest, I feel like modern is the clear choice for a spawn. One final push, keep in mind that modern builds are easier for most than a Roman or Japanese style that may be entirely foreign to some. It allows for different sizes (heights and widths), textures, and styles within the style. I'm afraid people are far too focused on builds being close together with modern style, this is simply an idea and it is not crucial whatsoever to the style's ideas. To answer Queen specifically, modern builds are not whatsoever about fitting tons into a small space, and if you look at some of the modern builds already on the server it is easy to incorporate leaves, potted plants, etc. to get a feel of nature and the environment. A modern style also fits the relatively flat plains spawn we have picked, and in my opinion fits it more than either of the other two.

In my opinion, Roman builds don't look very good at all if they're not large and/or resource packs aren't used. It doesn't seem like many people at all are experienced in Japanese builds and I think they would end up with the same pagoda build over and over again for the entire spawn. I'm also worried about how much people talk about the environment in Japanese builds, I've seen mentions of cherry trees and winding rivers but that stuff would require quite a bit of work.

Not gonna repeat all of my comments so if you'd like to hear more about why I think modern is the best fit for spawn please take a looksie at my comments in the discussion. Can't wait to find out what spawn's style will be no matter what the outcome!
Ben
Minecraft IGN: Benislav

Postby Ben » January 4th, 2017, 3:25 am

Yo, so I've made it pretty clear that Modern's my horse, but I'd like to make clearer that I'm super into helping build an awesome spawn regardless of what wins.

That said, though, can we maybe get some discussion as to why you guys might want the other styles? I feel like we need something beyond "it would look cool", because if no one's going to build in the style or contribute to spawn, there's not going to be anything cool to look at.

Here's a concise list of why I think "modern" or "roman" might work. If we could get similar lists and further discussion, that'd be great!

Modern:
  • Simple, undemanding theme -- Modern is easy to build in, and allows for a lot of wiggle room and creativity; there's no "right" way to build.
  • Natural Grid -- With a city setting, separating shops, towers, and other buildings is easy. Streets could be easily organized and new players could be easily led around through a natural grid and streetsigns.
  • Metro System -- Y'all know I'm super into rail transit, and a metro rail/subway system is natural in a city.
  • Verticality = Room for Everyone -- Think about the inn at spawn but on a larger level -- we can fit everyone on the server close to the spawn EASILY through vertical architecture. Imagine everyone having a home outside and inside of spawn. Sounds cool to me!
  • Cool, Simple Shopping -- Imagine how easy a shopping district would be to construct in the modern style. Shop owners, you have a lot of wiggle room here.
  • Tall Buildings = Sick Elytra Experiences -- Just think about this one -- flying around the city using its tall rooftops? Sick.
  • Other Styles Welcome! -- Modern is a pretty open style. You can have neo-Roman buildings (see New York City), Japanese skyscrapers, and a whole lot more. Wood, brick, stone, it's all good.
  • Stadium -- We've been talking about an arena for PVP content. How cool would a stadium be? Just sayin'!

Roman:
  • Easy Blocky Structure -- Roman architecture is naturally pretty blocky, which lends itself nicely to Minecraft.
  • Colosseum -- Similar to the Stadium point. How cool would this feel?
  • Unique Feel -- Few servers have a Roman style, and it'd make ours feel unique.

Hey! I want to hear more though! Let's work together on this instead of just hoping ours wins. Let's come up with ideas and compromises. We should all be excited to build a new spawn!!

Thanks, guys!
ledship
Minecraft IGN: ledship

Postby ledship » January 4th, 2017, 3:34 am

Spawn should be a community project, and I think most people will struggle with roman and japanese builds. I do think some people will struggle with modern as well, thats a given not everyone can build in every style. BUT with modern there are TONS of tutorials on all sorts of buildings from big to space from easy to complex, there is literally something for everyone in modern, thats why I think modern is the best choice. In the end, I don't mind since I wont be building in spawn all that much anyway. Some people also seem to think that modern is all skyscrappers and massive buildings, and it isn't, take a look at vans place at X: 26 Y: 475 on the server.

Another point for modern is that it looks good in default and without shaders. All of them can look good in shaders but it seems like roman and japanese seem to use them more and are more modified to fit just that style.
MoMoe0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoMoe0 » January 4th, 2017, 3:41 am

To add some points to the Japanese build style and add some more to the discussion:

Japanese:
  • Unique: Honest I think all three are pretty unique but the Japanese build style is the most unique.
  • Not as bad as people think: I've looked into some tutorials and yes there aren't as many as modern builds but there is still an adequate amount - and going off pictures of buildings isn't a bad reference.
  • Temples: This kinda plays off the environment a little bit. Japanese temples are usually in some forest somewhere that requires a hiking trip to reach. This would be a unique opportunity to incorporate the extreme hills biome or a small forest into the Japanese theme.
  • Markets: We could also incorporate something similar to a Japanese bazaar or fish market. Although this could be accomplished with some sort of China Town in the Modern style.

As a final thought, Roman and Japanese could still have some modern buildings as we don't have to decide on one time period.
Rykiki
Minecraft IGN: Rykiki

Postby Rykiki » January 4th, 2017, 3:45 am

Waddup y'all first things first I hope y'all can respect my opinions cause I for sure respect yours but I've seen on this theme topic people thinking they're right and can't be open to just listen without getting all defensive. Thanks a bunch

My choice is Japanese. I see the fuss with Japanese being hard to build but we have some great builders on this server and people willing to take a lead on helping and hoping better builders make some big ass cool looking things that can be done and then some smaller builds for some average builders. I see what Cheese said about modern having multiple sizes and I really think the same can be said for Japanese too as i've seen looking at quite a few example builds. Also the builds tend to follow a block pattern so I can also see those same patterns being used for us to experiment and build our own things off the beaten path of Japanese that'll still look flame with the other stuff. It's actually a really diverse theme if you really look into it, I mean all these themes are. I am not too big of a fan of modern as it just isn't eye candy for me personally. Also think you don't see many Japanese themed spawns and it could be really dope lookings. These all look good I have to admit I just think Japanese will really make our spawn special giving it that spice Amaranthus is wanting.

xoxo,
Rykiki
Ben
Minecraft IGN: Benislav

Postby Ben » January 4th, 2017, 4:31 am

Glad to see we've had a little extra discussion going here! I've been thinking about it some more and I think it'd also be a good idea to start laying out what we want out of the new spawn and how each style can do it. I've attempted to do this below:

Modern
  • Roads -- Modern roads can be easily built with stone or stone brick, with stone slabs for good-looking sidewalks. There are a number of ways you could go with this, but this is my suggestion.
  • Transport -- With the modern roads, a modern spawn also allows for a number of rail transit options (both above and below ground) as well as easy eltyra transit, as posted about before.
  • Arena -- A modern sports stadium-themed arena could look really neat.
  • Shopping District -- Modern shopping districts are all around and could serve as inspiration for this. Additionally, there's a lot of design freedom here.
  • Spawn Building -- I think a skyscraper with a view could make an excellent spawn building, but I've got another idea I'll go into below.
  • Public Farms -- This is, admittedly, a tough spot with a modern theme, but I think farms can easily be condensed within skyscrapers or included within "central park"-style parks.
  • Public Spaces -- For holiday and server events, modern parks and plazas (a la Central Park or Rockefeller Plaza in NYC) would be perfect.
  • Nether Access -- This is another tough one, but a plaza, park, or skyscraper could do the trick.]

Additionally, I'd like to foster the idea of compromise. I've started by listing features and how I think the modern style would cover them, but I'm willing to work with y'all in figuring out how we can mesh things together. For example, I think a modern theme could still work well with a Pagoda-style spawn building. For this idea, I'm taking some inspiration from the Overwatch map "Hanamura". Check it out here:

I'm excited to see what y'all think!

Thanks!
Xisumo
Minecraft IGN: Xisumo

Postby Xisumo » January 4th, 2017, 10:16 am

I wanted to take a crack at mapping out the area, regardless of theme and see what you all thought.

The mountain houses should be for grand builds, while the seaport/docks area should be for smaller builds with gardens/parks.

It's very easy to interchange the areas with each other, so the shopping district can easily be swapped with the community farms area, or pvp arena.

I also put a few possible spawn points for new people to be introduced to the server with a rules board/map and set up kit. Hopefully it's high above ground so they can overview the area.

And honestly, the place is large enough that all 3 themes can used if we were crazy enough :lol:
Modern - Shopping district
Japanese - Farms and mountain area
Roman - PVP/the rest.
Last edited by Xisumo on January 5th, 2017, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CheeseDoctor
Minecraft IGN: CheeseDoctor

Postby CheeseDoctor » January 4th, 2017, 10:30 pm

I actually really like Ben's idea of mixing modern aspects into the Japanese style as shown in Overwatch. I think the two styles are very different but can mesh well together and allow for most people to be happy (modern and Roman could also be mixed, I think a Colosseum that has been modernized would be extremely cool) that! I also like the idea of using all 3 themes in different sections of spawn. There are rivers disconnecting parts of the plains and people could build on the extreme hills as well, but it would probably need to be planned out more.

Like Rylie said, I've definitely seen that people are pretty set on their own ideas and unwilling to change. I think these two suggestions would alleviate that a bit and while I've been saying modern is most open to styles, the most open option seems to me to be mixing a combination of the styles.

Return to “Server Discussion”